Regional Development through Holistic CSR programmes
Client Name: Cairn India Limited
Project Name: Cairn Holistic Improvement for Regional Advancement and Growth (CHIRAG)
Location: Barmer, Rajasthan
Genesis: Barmer District with its low literacy rate (56.53%) (lower than the state average of 67.06%) also suffers from a very high school dropout rate. Lack of quality education and poor community awareness are contributing to illiteracy, unemployment, poor health and low income in the region. While Cairn India has triggered economic growth in the region through its operations, it has also enabled large scale community development to ensure inclusive growth.
About the project: Project 'Chirag' is a CSR initiative by Cairn India Limited, with IL&FS Education and Technology Services (IL&FS Education) as its implementation partner. The project is conceived on the basis of the need for a shift in approach from Stand alone projects to Holistic projects with an integrated multi-sector approach to create the desired impact and shared values. 3 blocks of Barmer district in Rajasthan – Baytoo, Barmer and Gudhamalani have been identified for implementation of this programme on a Hub and Spoke model. The project vision is to catalyze improvement in key development indicators in Barmer district through interventions in Education, Skills Development and Livelihood Generation aimed at creating sustainable impact.
- Skills development and livelihood generation initiatives to provide a sustainable source of income
- Academic support, capacity building and community engagement to improve educational outcomes
Progress till date:
- Placement linked skills development at Cairn Enterprise Centre (CEC): Placement linked and industry certified courses in trades like Masonry, Electrician and Computer Operator are run at the institute. Each programme offers compulsory modules on Life Skills, Soft Skills, English language and Industry exposure. 713 candidates have enrolled till date at the Centre out of which 343 candidates have been placed already.
- Education Improvement Programme: The programme aims at improving learning outcomes through creation of 25 Model Schools as hubs which would in turn support 75 Spoke schools. Towards this end, we have conducted baseline surveys including school profiling, pre tests and engagement with key stakeholders like students, teachers, school management committees, local administration and government functionaries. 26 people have undertaken the Certificate Course in Foundations in Education (CCFE) to work as supplementary teachers under the programme. The schools are also being equipped with technology and other teaching-learning resources.
- Community Engagement: To increase community awareness we have organized career counseling fairs, visits of employers, street plays, photography and painting workshops, career counseling seminars in schools and colleges at block level and the Rozgar Rath which goes around in the villages announcing various programmes.